The Engineer position’s main purpose is to:
- Work under the Captain’s direction to engineer and maintain the vessel and all systems in accordance with company and safety standards.
- Maximize safety and efficiency by using expertise in all maintenance and repairs.
- Bring a morale-focused approach to the success of each voyage.
- Maintain complete responsibility for all assigned tasks and duties, including upkeep and inspections of all equipment and the entire vessel.
- Have advanced mechanical abilities, sufficient to plan and enact maintenance as needed.
- Use understanding and expertise to carry out preventative and scheduled maintenance and repairs for all equipment and systems on the vessel.
- Create work plan, execute, and complete daily tasks following the established schedule in Vessel Management System.
- Maintain inventory of tools and critical/spare parts onboard the vessel.
- Skilled in all Deckhand duties and able to work as a deckhand as needed
- Competent in abilities and able to clearly communicate and train others on maintenance and repairs.
- Prioritize a clean and organized workspace, including wiping down, degreasing, painting, organizing, inventorying, etc.
- Must have proficient mechanical and engineering skills to perform all duties described above.
- Attention to detail/excellent organizational skills
- Maintain focus and practical decision-making skills under stress, especially in potentially dangerous situations.
- Embody responsibility and ownership, and lead by example duties.
- Be open to criticism and contribute to the development and success of others.
- Excellent communicator and able to share information clearly and efficiently.
- Proficient mechanical skills and work ethic to fulfill all duties as they are assigned.
- Must be comfortable working aboard boats and barges using heavy lines, winches, and mechanical tools for repairs.
- Must be able to comfortably and safely lift 100 lbs.; This position involves lifting, pulling, and operating heavy equipment, tools, and objects.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, or squat frequently. Climb high steps/ladders should be expected several times per day.
- Use of, working with, around, on, under, and inside deck machinery is expected daily; work on equipment that is poorly accessible or in confined workspaces when the need arises.
- Must have the ability to maintain balance/equilibrium at all times and various heights.
- Ability to work in confined spaces for prolonged periods.
- The ability to work in all weather conditions and have sufficient heat/cold tolerance.
- Not deterred by grease, dirt, paint, water, etc., that may regularly be on your skin, hair, and clothing.
- Ability to work when exposed to odors, dust, dirt, mechanical hazards, high noise levels, and potentially hazardous equipment.
- Must be able to swim
- This job’s specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Skills, Aptitudes, Qualifications & Certifications
- Merchant Mariner Credential
- Drivers License
- USCG Medical Card
- DDE License Preferred, not required
- Physical & DOT Drug Test
- Respiratory Fit Test
- TWIC Card
- DDE License
- AB – special, limited, or unlimited